University of Minnesota - Extension Website
As a new developer at the University of Minnesota-Extension, I started mid-project during a complete site redesign. The team and I built a site that serves over 100,000 visitors per week and allows editors to compose complex pages from simple components.
Content Type Modeling
Starting out, I worked with the project team to define and create content types that fit the established information architecture and goals.
I collaboratively developed a Drupal 8 theme to design specifications. To do so, I worked with the designer to identify and break down the design into unique, reusable components. We implemented those components as Paragraphs.
The accordion library:
- Meets W3 accessibility recommendations
- Updates the URL hash when opened to afford shareable URLS
- Checks for matching accordion hash on page load; if found, scrolls to the accordion and opens it
- Allows links on-page links to open a other accordions on the same page
- Handles multiple groups of accordions on one page
- Can open and close entire groups of accordions
Custom, site-specific modules
I wrote several custom, site-specific modules to meet requirments, including:
- Breadcrumb generation
- Filtered language selection toggle
- Dynamic sidebars pulled from link collections elsewhere on site
- Iframe embed filters for external content
This website now serves over 100,000 visitors per week and allows editors to compose complex pages from simple components.